Monday, October 21, 2013


Hello loves!

I. am. so. tired. All the time. I remember before I left, Sunshine told me that I will never be as tired as I am here on the mission because we are working hard spiritually, physically, and emotionally. Spritually obviously because we try so hard to have the spirit with us at all times, physically because we walk and walk and walk some more, and emotionally...I have a story to tell you about this....

I have told you all about our investigator Monica. Yesterday, after lunch with the Familia Dotta (our branch president), Presidente Dotta, his wife, and us went to visit Monica and su hijos. We wanted Dotta to be there with us and to share his testimony as we taught about tithing. We knew that this would be a little difficult for Monica because she is sooo poor. She lives in an old house that is probably the size of our tv family room, it smells so bad and is so dirty, flies and animals fill the kitchen. During a lesson with her, I probably have 8 flies buzzing around my head at one time. Last night, as we visited with her, we found some more things out about Monica that we didnt know before. Monica told us that she is a spotter...I didnt know what this was before, but apparently it is someone who has no where to live, so they find an abandoned house and live there. Spotters dont pay rent, water, electrical, nothing. The people whose house she is living in are trying to kick her out...shes breaking the law, but she has no where to go. She doesnt work because she doesnt want to leave her two sons. Her situation is so sad...she doesnt have anywhere to go or to live and her kids are suffering because of this. As we sat there attempting to teach about tithing, promising her blessings, I looked over my shoulder to see Presidente Dotta in tears. A full grown man completely in tears looking at her surroundings. We had just, 10 minutes earlier, had come from Presidente Dotta´s house, which is almost as nice as a house in the states to the house of Monica. As we left the house and piled into the Dottas car, Presidente Dotta burst in to tears, and so did the rest of us. He was sobing because she has nothing and we have so much. "Did you think that you would experience things like this before you came on your mission, Coon?" he asked. "What would Presidente Monson do if he was here or better yet, what would the Savior do?" We just sat in the car and we were all crying, completely touched by what we had just experienced, how we all recognized how blessed we really are. Presidente Dotta did as the Savior would do. He gave us 2000 pesos to go buy some new shoes for the children because they pretty much have no shoes and to buy some groceries. 

Afterwards, as Hermana Harris and I were talking about what had just happened, we couldnt help but talk about our many many blessings. What did we do to deserve such a good life as we have? We have a family who loves us and is strong in the church AND we were born in AMERICA! Home of the free. Tears streamed down our eyes as we thought about this. My life will never be the same after my mission and after what I have seen. My heart aches for Monica. My eyes are actually teary as I write this. Today for Pday, we traveled to Las Piedras to buy some shoes and after this we are going grocery shopping. We have to teach her to be self reliant...that she can work and that she has so much potential. This is just one experience of how the mission is emotionally draining. Its like you love these people so much and you spend so much time with them and to hear, see, and witness things like this is so hard.

This week I read about the Stripling Warriors in the Book of Mormon, about how their mothers had taught them. This has caused me to reflect about my own mom and dad. Thats another blessing. I have, that I have righteous parents who teach their children the gospel. Mom, thanks for telling me about that talk in the ensign. I really needed to hear that. Trying to learn a language can be so frustrating and it is so scary teaching in spanish. I feel like I am starting from the very beginning again. It is so challenging. Yesterday, for Sunday School, my companion and I taught the lesson on the spot because the teacher didnt show up. We taught about the creation and it went well. After lessons like these, I think, "How in the world did I just do that?" And I KNOW that it was the Lord helping me. It is his work and he will not leave me alone to fend for myself. We have been working so hard with visiting the less actives and trying to reactivate them and yesterday, we had 7 Less Actives at church! It was so great. I love each and everyone one of them and want them so desperately to be active once again.

This whole week and last week, Hermana Flores (my best friend in the mission and roommate) have been going running. It has been so fun and really good for our social aspect and health! She is the greatest. I love running through the campo with the red sunrise and seeing the fog over the vineyards. 

Well family, I love you all so much and miss you all muchisimo! James congrats on your new job and fun stuff! So exciting to hear about our temple and other fun things like that. haha and dad, the shot gun story will forever be one of the funniest memories. Goodness, life is grand. 

Xoxo,
Hermana Coon

p.s. Hermana Chavez just gave me a big hug and said that you guys emailed her! She is so happy and so am I! THANK YOU! MUCHISIMO GRACIAS! Besos!



This is a picture of us and Monica. We taught her how to sew a cute quilted purse to make more money. 

Oh ya, crazy to think that the ward split again! WOW! Life will be so different when I come home. 

Give everyone a biiiiiiig hug for me...James, Annie, Hannah, cousins, aunts, uncles, grandma, grandpas, friends, ward members, everyone! 

No comments:

Post a Comment