Monday, October 7, 2013

Dear Family!

What a great week it has been...from Conference to the miracles we see daily. Conference was SO AMAZING! WOW! It was such a blessing to be able to listen to it in English, too. I was sitting in my seat as it began, and I had a whole flood of memories come to my mind about conference. I thought about how you all were probably eating your crepes right now and laying on my big, comfy mattress. I remembered exactly ONE year ago when the announcement was made. Boy, that day changed our lives! And then I thought about 6 months ago thinking that I would be in Uruguay for the next Conference! I thought about how we were watching the same conference at the same time! Conference has always been so meaningful to me, but this time, it seemed even more meaningful as a missionary. It seemed like the major themes were the Atonement, el Plan de Dios, convenios, and MISSIONARY WORK! 

We had so many miracles happen this week and as I reflect on this past week, I am filled with so many different emotions...most filled with complete joy. Let me tell you why! I went on splits with Hermana Zegara from Peru. We were proselyting in an area called Cuatro Piedras. As soon as we stepped off the bus, we saw this old man standing near a tree and so we began talking to him. We began getting to know him and then found out that his wife past away 3 years ago. He seemed really lonely. We began teaching him about the Plan of Salvation...the Plan of Happiness! Mom, Dad, James, Annie, Hannah, everyone...The spirit was so strong! As we were teaching and testifying, I watched his expressions and emotions. Tears filled his eyes and we talked about our purpose here on earth and Gods plan after death...that he WILL see his wife again!!! At the end of our little lesson, we invited him to be baptized...and he said YES! He is getting baptized on October 26th! YAY! As Hermana Zegara and I walked away, she put her arm around me and whispered in my ear..."He was waiting for us!" And I knew it was true. Heavenly Father had prepared him especially for us.

Another miracle happened with our investigator, Monica. Monica has had a difficult time keeping her commitments and so this week we were going to drop her for the 3rd time. Everytime we attempt to drop her, something comes up. That is exactly what happened this 3rd time! I guess Heavenly Father has a different idea that we do! As we entered into her normally filthy home, we saw that it was a lot cleaner than normal! Monica had a sparkle in her eye and her whole countenance had changed! The first thing she said to us was, "I read your Bible!" haha. She has began to read the Book of Mormon every night with her two sons! I wish you all could see the change in her. This was a testimony to me that the gospel of Jesus Christ can literally change a person, spiritually and physically. She has commited to be baptized on Nov 2!!! She came to both sessions of Conference on Saturday and attempted to make it to Sunday. In her own words, she said, "Me encanto!" (Which is "I LOVE!") 

How cool it is to be able to be an instrument in the hand of the Lord in bringing about this wonderful gospel. I am so humbled by my sacred calling as a missionary. I wish I would have been a better missionary at home and in high school! You guys are right...all we need to do is invite. I have begun studying my scriptures and Predicad mi Evangelio each morning in spanish...I LOVE IT! Its like a whole new book almost. Nah, but I like it because things are described so differently. I was reading one day and noticed that in spanish, they describe the Book of Mormon and a "tesoro," which is treasure! How cool, huh?! We have a treasure and we must share our treasure to all the world! 

Words cannot express how grateful I am for your support! My sweet friend and roommate, Hermana Chavez does not have family that writes her. Most of them are less actives and dont support her on her mission. Can I give you guys her email and you can send her some emails so she has somethings to read? 

Mom, I think that Lord has blessed me with a lot of Type 1s on my mission, so that I have a piece of my mom with me. So far, all my companions and roommates have been Type 1s. Its actually pretty funny. There is never a dull moment in our apartment...lots of giggles and jokes. haha. Oh yay! I just got an email from Kami er..Hermana Severtson! and Sister Sunni Harrison! This is such a great time in life to have so many friends on missions!!! I am so grateful for this wonderful life that I have been blessed with. We are SO blessed, family!

Hannah, thank you for your prayer! That made me tear, especially the part about the Spanish and that the people would be able to understand me. And I have come to the conclusion that they may not understand me perfectly, but the Spirit is able to touch their hearts. The Spirit is the real teacher. I can feel your prayers each day...Heavenly Father is answering your prayers! Thank you! I love you! 

The work is moving forward. I love you all more and more each day and I love my Savior and Heavenly Father more and more each day too! 

Love,
Hermana Katie Coon


Oct 4 was my CUMPLEMES! 3 months in the mission! whoo hoo! Hermana Chavez made me a quite little sign for the celebration.

Today for lunch, Hermana Flores and I fixed the all american meal...grill cheese sandwich with tomato. Delish! Hermana Chavez, from Peru, had never heard of a grill cheese sandwich! WHAT!? Instead, she ate rice. Typical for a Peruian, i think?? 


1 comment:

  1. I love her letters! I can feel the spirit as I read them. She is doing amazing work and I'm sure Heavenly Father is very proud of her for helping bring his children back into the fold.

    ReplyDelete