Thursday, July 25, 2013

This week went FAST!






Dear Dad, Mom, James, Annie, and Hannah!
Hello sweet family! Well, another week has come and gone! Time seems to be moving faster and faster! I have seen that it has been rainy all week in Gilbert...thunderstorms! I love those Arizona monsoons. It sounds like you all have had a fun week...boating, playing sardines, shopping for school uniforms, etc. I LOVE those videos that you sent me from your iphone...they make me so happy!
Its been a good week! On Saturday, about 24 other missionaries and I went proselyting in a city in Buenos Aires! It was the first time I went outside of the CCM gates! I have so much to say about this day, but Ill do my best to put it into words. We all loaded on the bus and I was not expecting what I was about to experience. All I can say is, "Hermana, you are not in Gilbert anymore." I looked out the bus window and couldnt believe my eyes at what I was seeing. Think of the poorest areas in Phoenix (aka the ghetto). This was fifty times more poor. After driving around for about an hour, the bus driver dropped us off in an area and said, "Ill be back at 5pm." (in spanish, of course) and then he drove off. I was nervous. Here I was in the middle of a foreign country, not knowing spanish very well. My companions and i said a prayer and then we went forward with faith that Heavenly Father would help and direct us on who to talk to. We crossed over train tracks to get to our assigned area. As soon as we walked over the train tracks, a group of young men cat called us over to talk to them. "chicas, chicas!" They were cooking pollo (chicken) outside. We introduced ourselves, they did the same. It was so funny because they kept telling us that we had beautiful eyes and they kept telling me that I had beautiful dientes blanco! (white teeth) We had a good laugh at that one. There are dogs everywhere! The buildings are all different colors, the houses are so poor, and trash covers the ground. Everyone person that we saw we said hola to.
We met a super nice couple, Nicholas y Rosa, who work at the local vegetable market. I was so surprised that I could actually carry on somewhat of a conversation with them. We talked about the church and about the Book of Mormon and I almost handed out my first Libro de Mormon, but they wouldnt take it. They said they are dedicated to their church, but Nicolas brother is a member! They gave us a big hug when we left and Rosa whispered in my ear, "Encanta." (wish means love, or something like that)
The coolest story is saved for last. We were walking past a few run down apartment buildings/houses, when out of the corner of my eye, I saw someone walk out of their house trying to get our attention. We stopped and began talking to this man. His name is Omar Washington. Omar was smoking and it was really difficult for my companions and I to understand what he was saying because he had such a heavy accent. We told him that we were from the United States and that we are missionaries de la Inglesia de Jesucristo de los Santos de los Ultimas Dias. We told him about el Libro de Mormon and gave him a RestauraciĆ³n folleta (pamphlet). He was so interested! It was really neat! We even made an appointment to come back and teach him this Saturday at 1pm. Its just amazing how the Lord puts people in our path. And its amazing that we were able to somewhat communicate to these natives.
I really enjoyed proselyting for the first time. As we walked down the streets of this Buenos Aires neighborhood, I felt like we were unstopable. I felt kinda like we had angels surrounding us, it was the best. I wish I could explain better the poverty that I saw. I just feel really humbled and grateful for my many blessings.
So this week:: 1.) I started to break out in a rash. I talked to Hermana Openshaw (the mission presidents wife) and she said that I might have exema (sp?), be allergic to the detergent, or maybe the water? Still not sure...the water here is very...different! haha. everything is way different. I am living in a completely different world! wow!
2.) Tyler Day, Elder Day, is HERE! I am so glad he is here!
3.) Today, we went to the temple and I did the whole session in espanol for the first time!
4.) I was dared to try blood sausage for dinner one night by the elders in my district. My companions and I did...and it was yuck. We are served some very interesting things here at the CCM, but Im sure its going to get a lot worse out in the field. haha.
I love you all very much! I am grateful for you. Tell everyone I love them and pray for them daily. Thank you for your prayers on my behalf. I can really feel them. The Lord is working mighty miracles everyday! 
Annie and Hannah, good luck with school next week! You two are going to do awesome and you are going to look so cute in your uniforms! James, way to go taking all of those hard classes. You are awesome! Mom and dad, I love reading your emails. Thank you for your love, encouragement, and support. Love you, love you, love you! xoxo
Con amor,
Hermana Coon

1 comment:

  1. Love seeing the post of your daughter and pix. What a great example she has been to soo many people. Especially in my life. You guys are awesome!!

    ReplyDelete